After 28 years as a banker in Baltimore, my family and I moved to a small town in North Carolina. I was born and raised in Baltimore and had this very unfounded fear of moving. You may know the feeling - everyone and everything you know and feel comfortable with is in this place that you call home. My husband Jack doesn't have this same fear. He was born in Florida and has lived in California, Upstate New York and Baltimore. He has been dying to move for years, but I just couldn't tear myself away. So over the last year as I saw the bank I was working for heading toward receivership (that's right, FDIC), I was forced to broaden my box. After a visit to North Carolina I started looking for jobs in the eastern part of the state. Jack is a semi-retired cabinetmaker so he can practice his craft anywhere. After searching for a while, I found a job at a community bank. We found a rental house in a pretty little town and we made the leap. Our 18 year old Keith moved with us. It didn't take him long to decide to join the Air Force. He leaves in the next couple of months. When we moved this past summer, it quickly became apparent that all my fears of moving were completely unfounded. Our family was really excited for us and given the small world of cell phones and internet, being 6 hours away hasn't really impacted our lives as much as we thought.
So about now you are probably wondering why this blog is called Airstreamers on the Move. One of the main things that we moved was our 25 foot Classic Airstream. Once we moved down here we realized a couple of things: First - Home is where ever you make it. Second - I personally realized that banking is the same or worse than the same, everywhere. The second point has propelled Jack and I to make a decision to go on the road. I had no idea that we would be empty nesters this soon and earlier than all of our friends and family. But here we are. So we are talking about and planning our future, living in a 25 foot rv and seeing the US. Our goal is to see all of the national parks. We love to travel and have travelled internationally - our favorite place being Ireland so far. I guess the main thing to know about me is that I am a planner and I have dug in my heels over the years (remember my fear of moving?) and the thing to know about Jack is that he has wanted to do this for a very long time and he loves Airstreams and the possibility of going on the road in one is making him positively giddy!
Bottom line...we are tied in here for one year and at the end of the that year (next August) we will be full timing. As we get ready, from eliminating our debt to divesting of our stuff I hope you'll take the journey with us and give us your thoughts along the way.
Happy Travels....Noel
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment